Latest News and Press Release
The Belize Cancer Society launches initiative to end Cervical Cancer in Caribbean and Belizean women!
- Category: Press Release
The Belize Cancer Society in conjunction with Healthy Caribbean Coalition, Cancer Societies of the Caribbean and local partners, invites the Belizean community to sign an electronic petition to end cervical cancer in the Caribbean and Belize.
This petition seeks to obtain 500,000 signatures from people in Belize and across the Caribbean, which will be presented to the Caribbean Heads of Government and Ministers of Health, including BELIZE. We need to alert government leaders to the fact that cervical cancer is the second leading cause of cancer related deaths in women in the Caribbean and BELIZE. Action must be taken NOW to prevent our women from dying from cervical cancer.
- Did you know that every year, approximately 31,700 women in Latin America and the Caribbean die from Cervical Cancer?
- Did you know that the Caribbean is among the top four sub-regions in the world with the highest incidence of cervical cancer?
- Did you know that cervical cancer is mostly caused by sexually-acquired infection with Humanpapillomavirus (HPV)? Most people are infected with HPV shortly after onset of sexual activity.
- Did you know that the Caribbean has the highest burden of the HumanPapilloma Virus (HPV) in the Americas?
- Did you know that 95 per cent of cases of cervical cancer can be prevented?
This petition will urge governments in the Caribbean, including Belize, to provide urgent, affordable and accessible screening and treatment services for cervical cancer for our mothers, wives and daughters in an effort to END CERVICAL CANCER NOW!
Visit the Petition site at www.endcervicalcancernow.org and sign up now! Encourage your company or organization to access and sign this very important petition.
Contact the Belize Cancer Society in Belize City at telephone 223-0922 or their district branches for assistance in signing this petition.
Support the initiative on TWITTER: #HCC, #CCA,#BCS,#cervicalcancer,#e-petition
The Belize Cancer Society and the Community, working together to end Cervical Cancer in Belize!